This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object : When Opening MainWindow Design View

Topics: Project Discussion
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Hi
I downloaded your code, but when i tried to open the MainWindow.xaml visual studio is giving me an error and i can't edit the form. it says "NullreferenceException on binding: Object not set to an instance of an object" visual studio show me that error on this particular line
<local:Details DataContext="{Binding}" Grid.Column="1" x:Name="DetailsControl" 
<!-- Details Area -->
            <Grid x:Name="DetailsPane" Margin="0,0,7,10" Visibility="Visible">
                <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                    <ColumnDefinition/>
                    <ColumnDefinition SharedSizeGroup="column1" Width="282"/>
                </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                <local:Details DataContext="{Binding}" Grid.Column="1" x:Name="DetailsControl" Margin="0,0,0,0" PersonInfoClick="DetailsControl_PersonInfoClick" EveryoneDeleted="DetailsControl_EveryoneDeleted" FamilyDataClick="DetailsControl_FamilyDataClick" />
            </Grid>
Please help me fix this i really like this application and want to study the code, for personal development and to be able to help debug. thank you in advance.
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Ivan -
Thanks for the "heads-up"! In "design mode" there is not always a complete context, and the Details control was not verifying here. I don't normally use the visual editor with XAML so hadn't noticed.

I've checked in a fix to the Experimental branch. Unfortunately, this issue dates back to the "Family.Show V4" codebase. We're not attempting to maintain old code, I'll just make sure to release this fix with 0.5.

Kevin