Orthogonal Lines

Topics: Feature Request
Jul 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM
When too many siblings have too many kids, it's hard to see who's who. Any chance you can add orthogonal lines for connections?
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Let me try to confirm I understand by using a possible reproduction:
  1. Import the sample Kennedy.ged file.
  2. Select 'Rose Fitzgerald' as the 'current person'.
  3. Make sure nothing is hidden (e.g. don't select "hide inlaws" etc).
    I see that 'Robert Francis Kennedy' has a bunch of kids. They're all front-and-center. It's effectively impossible to see
    the kids from 'Patricia Kennedy', 'Jean Ann Kennedy', etc, as they are pushed off to either side, the lines blur together,
    etc.
Do I have it correct? If not, please give me some numbers, or a screen shot, or a sample familyx file. 2 parents have ...
X children. Of the X children, all are married; couple 2 has A kids, couple 3 has B kids, couple 4 has C kids ... How
many is X? A? B? C? How does it "look wrong"?

I've always disliked the direct line diagram, especially in this situation or when the diagram places people in such a
way as the lines cross [which can be seen using my Kennedy scenario: look at "Rose Fitzgerald"'s parents:
"John Fitzgerald" is drawn on the left, causing a line to be drawn cross-hatch; if he was on the right the diagram
would be better].
Jul 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM
That is right. One of the reasons I'd add orthogonal lines if possible. This is probably the hardest request since you need to make sure none of the descendants criss-cross (hooray, ho) as well.