Root #

Topics: Feature Request
Jul 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM
After requesting and receiving the option to view the Tree # for each separate tree, I find myself requiring a Root # as well. This would be the count of how many parents are above a person (0+) or where a person lies in a tree (1+). 1+ would be more compatible with the Tree # since that is 1+ based. That is useful when you need to add more parents to someone.
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Right. I'll add a task. Thanks!
Jul 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Thanks! It occurs to me that hiding and displaying certain columns would be useful. When my tree is fully connected, I probably wouldn't need to see the Tree # column anymore.
Jul 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Another way to do this is to add an icon for root (R), branch (B), leaf (L) depending on whether a person has no parents, parents and children, no children, respectively (Letters can be used instead if it becomes too iconic.). Obviously a stand-alone person would have to be marked as a root or something else entirely. With the Tree # there, root would probably be fine since that would usually be a temporarily unattached person or would promptly be deleted.

However, my initial approach is probably more useful since you can also tell how far down a root a person is.