This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Delete/Ghost

Topics: Feature Request
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Edited Dec 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

[Transferred from Family.Show. Entered by BAbdulBaki]

I seem to have a duplicate person (or ghost since he's tailing his other self). Is there a way to delete him? I don't see any delete option anymore.

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Edited Dec 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM

BAbdulBaki wrote Mar 23, 2010 at 8:07 AM

The delete button is still there. Just doesn't work on ghosts.
====================================
If the person has no descendants, select them and you should see the delete option on the right-hand side. If the person does have descendants, you can remove their children and then delete them. If the delete option is not showing, make sure you have version 3.0 installed. If the delete option is still not showing, rename the .familyx file to .zip and unzip it. Manually edit the XML file and remove the person. Be careful about editing it manually. Also, o rare occasions, Family.Show was creating duplicate users for me. In those instance, the delete button wasn't appearing since there was a duplicate XML element of the same person.

One way to fix this is to have Family.Show display all data in the XML format. This would be easier than extracting the embedded XML data, modifying it, and repackaging it again - a method that's prone to human error.

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM

treeuser wrote Mar 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

If one is not trained in this area- is the only way to approach the problem to delete the whole tree and start over? An entire section of people with a relationship to the double 'ghost' person are non-deletable. I do not know how to display in xml format.

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM

treeuser wrote Mar 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I have found a way to delete a person from within the application. If you start at the lowest person under the person you want deleted, and delete everyone upwards until you get to the person who is now alone- you can delete them.

Coordinator
Dec 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM

BAbdulBaki wrote Mar 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM

There is no display in XML format. I was implying it would be nice if it did display the XML code. However, if you rename the file with a ZIP extension, you should be able to extract the XML file, modify it, then rezip the entire structure to FamilyX extension again. Your way works but deletes a lot of people that you probably don't want to delete.